Nov 28, 2014

I Am Thankful for The Chronic Illness Community


Every year on Thanksgiving I take a minute to reflect upon what I am thankful for. I have found hope, solace and support among the chronic illness community of spoonies, zebras, potsies and zipperheads! I have met some of my best friends here and it's comforting to know that we can relate to each other's struggles on a personal level. It's also a major victory when one of my chronic illness friends has a good day or their health improves. We all know not to take those days for granted and what a major milestone health improvements can be. Even the smallest health victories are worth celebrating. It's amazing to have friends of all ages, from all different walks of life, from all over the country and all over the world sharing the same conditions. Although these cruel conditions are often what unites us initially, I have found that there is often so much more that we share. We are much, much more than just our illnesses and are certainly not defined by them. I often talk excessively about my condition to my chronic illness friends simply because they really get it, and they can relate. But I have found that the majority of us share many common interests and attitudes beyond our shared symptoms. If you are reading this, I am thankful for YOU!

1 comment:

  1. It’s a wonderful idea to conduct an awareness program on mental health issues. Here I observed a person wants to be thankful to the chronic illness community which helps to fight with the disease and improves the health. Thanks for sharing the information.

    ReplyDelete